Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Persian Chicken Kabobs



Last night, I made my Aunt Emma's Persian Chicken Kabobs. It's a simple grilling recipe made with chicken breasts, that is healthy and delicious. I used chicken breasts from the freezer that I'd gotten at Cotsco. Chicken breasts are easy, very versatile and a good source of protein but they can be expensive, so Cotsco is a great place to get them. They also sell them in marinades, which makes them even easier to just throw on the grill, but making your own marinade isn't that hard and is, of course, fresher. You can also control the amount of sodium that's in it, which is sometimes a problem with bottled marinades. Making the job even easier is my Ulu, an Alaskan knife a friend gave me for my birthday that I love! According to Wikipedia, the ulu is an Inuit all-purpose knife used for skinning animals, cutting hair and trimming blocks of ice to make an igloo. It's also the perfect tool for chopping herbs, so I used it to chop the mint for my recipe. I served my Persian chicken with veggie skewers and couscous, an easy and nutritious meal. I cooked the veggies separate. You could replace the couscous with rice pilaf or make it with grilled pita bread, and hummus or yogurt sauce, to make a yummy sandwich.


Persian Chicken Kabobs

4 chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
2 large cloves crushed garlic
1/2 tsp hot red pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint

Marinate chicken in combined ingredients for a few hours or overnight. Put chicken on skewer, alternating with green or red pepper, quartered onions and quartered tomatos. Grill over low coals (or medium heat) until done. Baste while cooking. Can also be used for chicken wings, legs and thighs.




No comments: