Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Blue Pot Stickers




A couple of years ago, I planned on getting some beautiful glazed pots from Vietnam, to place by my front door. They were expensive- probably $300-$400 dollars each, but I could never decide on a color and they were heavy, etc... Flash forward to 2010. $600 to $800 seems like a lot of money to spend on pots in this day and age, so I decided to re-use some tall clay pots I already had. While my initial urge was just to spray them and be done with it, it was more of a process than that. First, I pressure cleaned them. This ended up being a project because the pressure cleaner we got from my brother in law didn't work. My husband assured me it just needed a part. We got the part. It still didn't work. I was chomping at the bit to re-paint, but my husband promised to bring home a pressure cleaner from work. It arrived. As he was demonstrating how to use it (it started with a yank like a lawn mower) it ran out of gas. Finally, after gas was purchased, the pots were cleaned. Personally, I think this step could have been skipped, but whatever. I let them dry, then primed them with spray primer. Let the primer dry, then sprayed them with the glossy blue color I had picked. Let the paint dry (4-6 hours), sprayed again and again until they were sufficiently covered. Voila! They were ready for the big Dance Party we hosted for Rachel's 13th Birthday and the family party the next day. Are they as beautiful as the glazed pots from Vietnam? No, but they only cost $30 vs. $600, so I can live with that.

No comments: