Sunday, May 23, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Not All (Cotsco) Buys Are Created Equal




Do you have a Cotsco card? I do and make the pilgrimage once every couple months. While it may be tempting to buy everything you need at these discount stores, not everything is a great deal. For example, did you know paper products are more expensive at Cotsco? And, even if you get a great deal on cereal, if half of the box goes stale, that's not really a bargain. I was happy to learn from an article on MSN Money, that most of the items I regularly purchase are some of the best deals in the store. Wine, for example. I always buy wine for parties at Cotsco because it's so much cheaper AND if you don't use it all, you can return it. Actually, all alcohol, including beer and the hard stuff, is 35% lower than at other stores. If you know what you like, you can find it here for cheaper. Otherwise, they have some wines listed with Wine Spectator points (a good way to gauge) if you want to try something new. Meats are wonderful and inexpensive here; I can get two flank steaks for the price I would pay for one at the grocery store. The tiger shrimp and salmon are also delicious, but if you're not going to use the meat or seafood right away, you need to have freezer space. For a quick, easy dinner, pick up the rotisserie chicken for $4.99. Staples like milk, butter and eggs are also good deals at Cotsco. Two things I almost always get (for Sunday sauce) are Italian sausage and Parmesan cheese, because the quality and price can't be beat. One item I've never gotten at Cotsco (but may start) is prescription medications. They are up to 50% less than your local pharmacy! You can't beat that. Since my prescription needs to be filled monthly, that means my pilgrimages would have to be once a month. The only bad thing about Cotsco is I can't get out of there without spending a bloody fortune. I think that's because when I only go every couple months, I feel I have to make it worth my while. If I went monthly, I would spend more wisely. Besides that, I can't get enough of the free lobster spread. With some sliced jalepenos and hot sauce on club crackers, it's the bomb!

No comments: