Thursday, January 7, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Undecking Part 2


Now, if you have not already done so, it's time to tackle the gift-wrapping area. Ugh! I have to admit, I hate this job, but once again, it is a time to edit, throw away and re-access what is needed for next year (actually this year). I have already broken down the boxes and separated the tissue paper into a neat pile. I bought some half-off wrapping paper at Bed Bath and Beyond that I have put with my other wrapping paper. I've gone through my ribbons and boxes from last year and got rid of any boxes that did not have a top and a bottom (recycling) or were broken, because I have plenty more from this year. I separate my Christmas gift bags from my regular shopping bags (Nordstroms etc...) and flatten them out to be stored. I now review what I need for next Christmas: Red ribbon, Christmas gift tags and some fat gold ribbon for the tree and write it down in my handy little notebook, so if I come across it in my shopping, I can purchase it. This would have ideally been done a couple weeks ago when the after-Christmas stuff was on sale, but c'est la vie. I have all my tissue paper, boxes and bags stored in a bench in the hall so back it goes. While I'm at it, I will go through my Christmas cards. I save the ones with photographs on them (I'm a sentimental sucker) and toss the rest (recycle). There are also organizations that accept Christmas cards or you can save them for craft projects for the kids. I tear off the addresses from the corner, put them in an envelope, take a sheet of paper and make a list of the people I received cards from with 2009 at the top, and how many cards I received, with the number circled. I fold this over the cards I saved, secure it with a rubber band and stash it in my card box. That way, if I decide to send cards (I didn't this year) I immediately know how many to order or buy (always get more than you think you'll need if it's close) and I have the addresses at my fingertips so I don't have to hunt though my address book to address them. Whew! The holidays are a lot of work, but once all the trimmings are gone and stored away, it is a feeling of accomplishment and now we are ready to get to the business of the new year. Relax, Pat yourself on the back and Celebrate! Go Alabama!

No comments: