Monday, January 25, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Stewed Prunes




Stewed Prunes. Really! I re-discovered their restorative effects on my recent trip to Club Med. I saw them, thought "Why not?", got a little bowlful and voila! As the french say, it did the trick, renewed my je ne sais quoi. It was a wonderful feeling. I don't know about you, but I'd rather solve my health issues with diet, rather than popping a FiberCon pill. Prunes, now labeled "Dried Plums" to oomph their appeal, deliver more antioxidants than fresh blueberries. They are also full of potassium and fiber. The only downside is, being a dried fruit, they are rather high in calories (about 100 calories for 5 prunes) so factor that into your daily intake. Other remedies for fellow suffers who are not always "regular" are: drink lots of water and exercise. That's right- get moving to get things "moving". Making stewed prunes couldn't be easier. I saw lots of recipes that added sugar, orange juice etc... but why add more calories than necessary? I just covered the prunes in water (about an inch above them) in a saucepan for a half hour, added a bag of Earl Grey tea for flavor (it could be another kind) and simmered them for about half an hour. Voila! Stewed prunes, problem solved. The spring is back in your step and life is good.

No comments: