Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Better Late Than Never


Just returned from a week-long vacation in the Bahamas at one of those all-inclusive resorts. My husband bid on it (half-price) at an auction for my fiftieth birthday and we were finally able to go. All inclusive resorts are having fabulous deals right now (a lot are basically half off) and the great thing about them is, as their name implies, they are all-inclusive. There are a couple things you could do to actually spend money- like order a fancy bottle of wine or SCUBA dive- but everything else was included. The only thing we spent money on was a photograph taken on the beach and a couple gifts for the kids, less than $50. All the food (at three different restaurants), wine, drinks and activities were included in the price. No charge. Some of the activities offered (for free) are: Sailing, snorkeling, Zumba, tennis clinics, Abs and Butt class, wind surfing and cooking classes. We participated in a lot of them and also took a walk to the spot where Columbus first landed in the New World.
We had a choice of three Club Meds and we picked the one with no Mini Club (club for kids). When we arrived I saw a photograph of a cross on the beach that looked vaguely familiar to me. I realized that I had used the photograph of this cross as the cover of a booklet I made for my future daughter in high school. It was a project for religion class. I can't remember exactly what I said to my future daughter, something about being true to yourself with quotes by Kahil Gibran, but I do remember the cross. It looked so beautiful, simple white set against the clear aqua water. And now, out of all of the islands in the Bahamas (there are 700), out of all of the places in the world, I landed here at this island of San Salvador. Coincidence? I happened to be reading The Secret, where you cut out images that you want to manifest in reality. Well, it may have taken me thirty-four years, but it finally happened. I also re-discovered some old loves- speaking French, sailing and snorkeling. As they say, better late than never...

No comments: