Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is!

Mount Rushmore! Keystome, South Dakota
   Back from an awesome Road Trip! Had a great time with Kate and got some good ideas for new blogs. I just weighed myself and (drum roll please!) I am the same weight as when I left! which is pretty amazing considering most of the choices in the Wild West were meat, meat and more meat, with some fried food thrown in for good measure. We ate at a great vegan restaurant in Fort Collins, but after we left Colorado, it was slim pickins for healthy fare. I tried to make good food choices and exercised a couple times, and I guess it paid off.
   "For where your treasures be, there will your heart be."
   This quote from the bible reflects that we spend money on things that mean a lot to us. I have always found money to spend on a good trip. Zeke says I'm a trip junkie, and I guess he's right. Traveling offers a new way to see the world, people and new experiences and for me, is worth every penny.
   Lately, I have been swimming a lot and so, have been thinking about re-doing our pool. I just got it converted to salt water, so now while I'm swimming don't feel I'm poisoning myself, but as I see the holes in the finish and feel the sandy sides that need to be re-done, I keep imagining a nice, new pool with a smooth blue finish and new tile. Also, have thought about getting solar panels to heat the pool in the winter months and am thinking about taking a Master Swimming Class in the fall.
   Education has always been a top priority and is where a lot of our money (two daughters in private school, one starting college) goes these days. I believe as long as we are learning, and open to learning, we stay young and have always found money to take classes I really wanted to, whether they be Astrology, Photography, Spanish or getting my Masters in Screenwriting at UM (still paying for that one.)
   When I was a flight attendant with little money to spare, I spent my money on furniture, things for the house, books and music. I am still one of Amazon's best customers (books and music), so that hasn't changed and, while I hate shopping for clothes, I love shopping for things for the Home.
   During my first marriage, when I got a job at US Air (travel again), my husband disapproved and cut off all money to me. What did I spend my meager, minimum wage salary on at that time? Healthy food (since he was doing the shopping) and plants for my Garden. This gave me happiness, so this is where I invested my hard-earned cash.
    Also, I have always enjoyed going out to dinner. This month and next is Miami Spice, where you get an appetizer, entree and dessert for a set price. It is a great way to explore and experience restaurants that you could otherwise not afford. Last year, having little money, we did not go. This year, I hope to try at least a couple. Eating out is expensive, but you are paying not only for the food, but for the whole experience. You can discover new cultures with their cuisine.
   At the sermon where I heard this bible quote, Father Frank asked if what you are spending money on reflected what your values are. What do you spend most of your money on? Does it reflect properly who you are? If not, change it!

No comments: