Saturday, September 24, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Corn Fritters













Faced with a ton of leftover corn-on-the-cob from a Bar-B-Q dinner, I decided to make corn fritters. I contemplated corn pudding, corn bread or just corn-off-the-cob, but corn fritters won out. They were SO easy and SO good, I had to blog about them. I basically just made pancakes from Bisquick, with the recipe on the box (2 cups Bisquick, 1 1/4 cups milk (I used less, maybe 1/2 cup for the right consistency) and 1 egg, beaten. I made this batter and then added the corn and a couple tablespoons of chopped chives from my garden. I had probably 2 cups of corn, but you could make this with less and even with corn from a can (drained first, of course). If you want to be healthier (although the fritters are fried, so forget that idea) you could use skim milk and egg whites, but I didn't. I heated up canola oil in my electric skillet to 360 (it's supposed to be 350, but the temp will drop once you add the batter), and dropped the batter, by tablespoon, into the hot oil. Watch carefully and when they are nicely browned on one side, turn them over. Take them out and drain on paper towel, salting lightly. Keep the finished fritters in a 200 degree oven to keep warm. Although these fritters were delicious on their own to "gild the lily", I added a spread of hot pepper jelly and a dollop of sour cream. These two flavor additions took my fritters from good to over the top great! So, if you find yourself with any leftover corn, you know what to do. On a fritter roll, I later made some zucchini fritters with feta and mint from Joy of Cooking pictured above. But, I have to say, they didn't come close to the heavenly corn fritters; leftovers have never tasted so good.

No comments: