Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Leave the World a Better Place


I recently read an article about organizing your house, that gave this advice: "Leave each room you visit better than you found it." This means, if you see an old newspaper, dirty socks, stack of bills laying out, do something about it. This also can apply to outside the house. I often see weeds that need picking, a stray garden glove or little piece of garbage laying in the dirt and every time I notice them, it bugs me. Better to pick it, put it away, throw it out and be done with it. It won't be taking up psychological room in your mind for your "to do" list. Since I've read this quote, I've been trying to put it into practice and it certainly makes me feel more productive and has resulted in a cleaner house and garden. I also thought it was an excellent philosophy for life- leaving a room (or the world to expand the idea) a better place than when you entered it. Plant a sunflower, offer a helping hand, smile at a stranger and everyone will reap the benefits of your random acts of kindness. I feel part of my job on this earth is to educate people and offer practical solutions to problems. In this vein, since my sister complained about a previous posting ("Fat Chicks Roll the Dice") which was pretty much just a complaint about gaining weight in middle age with no apparent solution, I have vowed to try to solve the dilemma. I have started working on an experiment to lose weight and so far- after one day- have lost two pounds! Stay tuned for more...

No comments: