Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Take a Road Trip


What could be more All American than a Road Trip? After celebrating Independence day, nothing says independence more than the ability to hop in your car and take off for whatever destination fits your fancy (or fulfills your fantasy). I have wanted to rent an RV and travel across this great U S of A for as long as I can remember. About fifteen years ago, I flew to Denver and drove back to Miami, on a road trip with my Mom. What an adventure that was! My son's girlfriend, Shannon, just made a similar trip, from Miami to Colorado with her mother. Both of our trips included stops at Graceland, the hallowed ground for Elvis fans; both of them also included AAA. I took Shannon to get a Trip Tik mapping out her drive, as well as Tour Books and maps for all the states she was driving through. AAA really came in handy during our road trip, as we ran out of gas one day and had a flat tire the next, both on Route 66. I love my AAA card and think it is definitely worth the money. Besides the Roadside Services it is known for, AAA membership entitles you to "Going Places" magazine, discounts on hotels, attractions and movie tickets and certain stores. They also offer different types of insurance and have a travel agency with discounted packages. I have the AAA Plus, which entitles you to four 100 mile tows a year. One long tow, and it's paid for itself. I've also gotten AAA cards for my kids. For me, AAA is like those old American Express commercials. I wouldn't go on a road trip without it.

No comments: