Monday, October 12, 2009

Upsides to the Down Economy/Coupons

When I was first married (numero uno), money was tight and I was an avid coupon-clipper. I even had a little segmented pouch to separate the coupons into categories. After a while, I stopped using them; I would invariably forget them or when I remembered them, they were expired. Now, when I go to the grocery store, I gather my environmentally friendly grocery bags, anything I need to recycle at the grocery store and I go through the coupons I have clipped. Yes, I have started using them again, but with certain caveats.
1) It has to be more than 50 cents. Otherwise, it's not worth my time to clip.
2) It has to be a product I normally buy. It's not worth buying some new product if I hate it, but give me coupons for Yoplait (save $1 on 6) or Lean Cuisines, and I'm there.
Nowadays, you don't have to rely on your Sunday paper alone to get coupons. The Internet is filled with deals for all kinds of items (not just groceries). Google "coupons for" whatever item you're interested in and see what pops up.
Another money saving idea I use is racking up points for stores I frequent. CVS, AMC, Winn Dixie and Best Buy are just some of the stores that offer cards that reward frequent buyers. I love getting CVS Extra Bucks or a free movie ticket at AMC. It may not be that much in terms of money, but remember what Ben Franklin said.. And somehow eating a bag of free popcorn just tastes better.

No comments: