Saturday, July 16, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Relish that Anticipation



"Anticipation... is making me wait. Is keeping me waiting..." Carole King




Right now I am making plans to go on a European cruise with my daughter, sister and nieces, with three days after in Barcelona. Each one of us has taken a city to research re: tourist attractions, restaurants, shopping etc... My sister ran into a lady who had just come back to a similar cruise and she commented "You're in the fun part- looking forward to your trip. I'm at the already finished it and home again stage." I think looking forward to and planning a trip increases the fun factor exponentially. One of my favorite vacations as a child was a family trip to the Hawaiian Islands. I researched everything from Hawaiian food to macadamia nut plantations and ukuleles in anticipation of that trip. While we had a wonderful vacation, I distinctly remember packing a little package of red pistachios into my carry-on the night before we left. Those pistachios represented my hopes and dreams (that I would find a cute Hawaiian boy and eventually move back over there to marry him and raise our cute Hawaiian children) for the trip. Well, I did meet a cute boy, but he wasn't Hawaiian and one brief meeting in the Hawaiian surf was as far as that romance got, but I still have my Hawaiian phrase book, my Mrs. Hawaii cookbook and my wonderful memories from that trip. And now looking forward to creating new and more wonderful memories on this next trip.






No comments: