Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Soup to Feed the Soul






My Aunt Josie, 90 years old and subject of a former gleesganders post. broke her hip last weekend. This, is of course, bad news. When I went to visit her in the hospital, she complained about the food and called the Lentil Soup "tasteless". I vowed to make her some lentil soup. She is now at The Floridean, our family nursing home and I took her some lentil soup today. I made it out of a torn, taped, family cookbook titled "The Art of Italian Cooking" which I got from my Aunt Josie. She told me "This is the way Mama cooked." Mama, my great grandmother, was from Sienna, the heart of Tuscany, and the cookbook reflects the rustic, simple and delicious style in which that region cooks. My great grandfather, who started the first Italian restaurant in Miami (The Italian Kitchen in the Royal Palm Hotel) flew his chefs down from New York and cooked Italian-American fare, like eggplant parmigiana, that the restaurant-goers expected. This Lentil Soup is simplicity itself- just lentils, onions, and butter and oil to saute it in. My little secret for making people soup is I make enough to bring the recipient a healthy serving and have enough left over to feed my family. Everyone is happy, I have done my good deed for the day and it is a cheap meal for my familia. Soup feeds your body as well as your soul and according to my Aunt Josie, "lentils are supposed to be good for you." Oh, by the way, make sure you don't overcook the lentils. I learned this the hard way. I think I have given Josie soup with mushy lentils. Hopefully, even with mushy lentils, this soup helps her heal. Here's to healing, being healthy and feeding your family. Mangia!

Zuppa Di Lenticchi
Lentil Soup #1
1 lb. lentils
3 Qts. Water
1 chopped onion
2 T butter
2 T. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Wash lentils. Place in pot with cold water. Cook over medium heat about 1 1/2 hours, or until lentils are soft. Add salt and pepper. Melt butter in separate saucepan; add oil; saute onion for about 5 minutes or until soft and slightly brown. When lentils are done, strain soup through sieve or colander; add onion and oil mixture. Stir thoroughly. Serve very hot. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. Serves 4 to 6.

No comments: