Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Upsides to the Down Economy/ Goodwill Shopping




Sometimes I come home with a new movie or book from a secret little store called Oodwillga. Pig latin for Goodwill. Before you go "gross", let me clarify the items I purchase at my secret little store. My sister Kelley recently said she was going to head to Goodwill to pick up a yoga mat. My reaction was "yuck!" Certain items, that have been in intimate contact with previous owners, are not things I would buy at Goodwill. This includes yoga mats, undergarments, shoes and hats. I don't shop for clothes at Goodwill (I have gotten Halloween costume pieces there) but if I did, would probably stick with denim and khaki items. Some of the items I regularly look for at Goodwill are: hardback books, VHS movies, glassware, pottery and silver plate items. I picked up some beautiful Christofle silver plate salt and pepper shakers for a couple bucks last year, and hardback books that retail for $20 and up, sell for only $1.50. On a recent trip to a Goodwill Superstore, I saw a hip, well-dressed young woman among the shoppers. I imagined her to be either an antique/vintage clothing dealer or movie producer looking for wardrobe or props. I always take a look at the artwork (located near the restrooms) in the hope of finding a gem among the junk. This has been my fantasy since I saw a lady on Oprah who bought a little painting at a thrift shop and it turned out to be painted by a famous French Impressionist (can't remember who) and worth a bundle. Location matters when shopping at Goodwill, as the ones located in an affluent part of town will be more likely to carry high-end stuff. Of course, shopping at my secret little store is very hit or miss, depending on what merchandise they've gotten in, but this is also part of the fun. I usually limit my purchases to $10, which is how much I paid for the items shown in this picture: a straw purse, first edition of The Prince of Tides, silver plated tea pot from Argentina and a classic John Ford movie. The photos should be titled: Buy This, Not That! at Goodwill. Or as I am going to start calling it, Bonne Volente. It sounds so much better in French, mais non?

No comments: